Many top companies make the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture. But which one to choose? Here is a proper guide which will explain to you everything related to the products and finish of Cedar.
Cedar is a natural material, also consider softwood. Many people prefer cedar for use in the outdoor of a home not only for construction purposes but for furniture as well. Cedarwood prevents the growth of microbes and fungus. This wood is of natural and warm shade that gives beauty to the outdoor furniture.
It also strengthens the structure of the building and ensures long-term use. Cedarwood can bear climate conditions and add sophistication to your home’s outdoor furniture. The only disadvantage is that cedarwood fades away its color very easily and is also prone to rotting.
Top Products Providing The Best Finish For Outdoor Cedar Furniture
Compromise is not the solution when it comes to the safety of cedar wood furniture. Choose the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture which will help to retain its original beauty and look after the choice of the best finish. It will also be able to prevent itself from absorbing moisture and rotting. We have listed below the top wood finishes to help you make the right choice for your furniture.
1. Minwax 63210444 Helmsman – Best For Extreme Climate
If you are living in an area where there are extreme climatic changes then this finish is best for you. It prevents your outdoor furniture from UV rays. It also protects your outdoor furniture from rain and moisture. It keeps the wood free from fungus and other microbes.
This high resistance finish allows the furniture to expand and contract in extreme weather. This is the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture & will keep the natural and original beauty of your furniture. It’s also easy to apply.
- Consists of UV blockers that protects from fading of the color
- Coverage of 125 square feet per quart
- Contains a special type of oil that allows the cedar wood to expand and contract according to the weather
- Reapplication after 4 hours
- For optimum results, 3 coats of finish are required
- Dries after 24 hours
2. Ready Seal 112 1-Gallon Can Natural Cedar – Simplest To Apply
This product is easily the simplest to apply to your outdoor furniture. You can apply this product straight out of the can because it requires no primer.
This product is not applicable to recently painted or stained areas, because it will make the product ineffective to reach into the wood. This finish is applicable in extreme weather conditions as well. Retain the beauty of your furniture for years after using this.
- It Covers 125 to 150 square feet per gallon
- You can apply it with a simple brush, roller, or sprayer.
- 2 coats are required
- Apply a second coat after 45 mins drying time from the first one
- Dries completely after 48 to 72 hours
- No need to use a primer
3. Cabot 140.0003400.005 Australian Timber Oil – Top Quality Oil For Best Finish For Outdoor Cedar Furniture
This is the product that contains an oil penetrating formula to give an amazing look to cedar from inside. It is going to prevent the furniture from rain, moisture, and from rotting away. After exposure to UV radiation, it is going to save your cedar furniture from discoloration.
Before application on the entire article, apply it on a small portion to ensure that the desired result is according to your choice. It is the best oil for outdoor cedar furniture.
- Consists of an oil penetrating formula that provides deep nourishment and protection
- Covers 250 to 350 square feet per gallon on rough surfaces
- A single coat is required
- Dries between 24 to 48 hours
4. #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent – Best Sealer For Cedar
This is the best sealer for cedar posts. This is a dual-purpose finish that gives protection as well as color to the cedar furniture. This finish also comes in 5 different colors.
These colors are going to increase the look of wood and also leave a pure matte look. It also protects the wood from damaging rays of the sun and helps the wood to get rid of moisture and rain.
- Consists of a water-based formula for penetration and easy application
- Works as a stain as well as a sealer and available in 5 different colors
- best finish for outdoor cedar furniture
- After 30 mins waiting time second coat is going to recommend
- Dries between 24 to 48 hours
- It Covers 100 to 150 square feet per gallon
5. Thompsons Water Seal Transparent – Best For Exterior Furniture
This product will surely increase the beauty and durability of your outdoor articles. It consists of polymers that are going to give your furniture a natural color.
It also prevents harmful UV rays. It has high-resistance against rain and mildew. It is especially for exterior furniture. It is never going to fade the natural color of softwood.
- Contains polymers for preventing discoloration and fading
- One coat is enough but if you need a darker tone then a second coat is a must
- It Covers 150 to 400 square feet per gallon
- Dries between 2 to 4 hours
- Suitable for outdoor use on wood only
6. General Finishes Exterior 450 – Best Overall
To retain the beauty of cedarwood and maintain its durability this is the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture. It prevents the wood from turning yellow. It also contains UV absorbers and is suitable for all surfaces because of its water-based clear drying property. It protects the wood from termites that can rot away the wood.
- Have water-based, clear drying property and is suitable for exterior use on wood
- Consists of mildewcides to stop the growth of mildew
- 2 to 3 coats are a must
- Dries between 5 to 6 days
- It Covers 140 to 160 square feet per quart
7. Thompsons Water Seal TH.A21711-16 – Best Single Coat
If you want to get rid of multiple coatings then this is the best product. You will love it for sure. It has a water-based solution for easy application and easy clean purposes. It has a low odor because of the volatile organic compounds. It also provides your wood with great protection from moisture and damaging UV rays.
- It is a water-based finish
- Easy to apply and easy to clean
- A single coat is enough
- Covers 200 square feet per gallon
- Dries in 24 hours
8. Seal-Once Marine- 1 Gallon – Best For Western Red Cedar
To protect your outdoor furniture for up to 10 years this finish is best. This finish is best in high moisture areas because there is more susceptible mildew growth, rotting, and damage from water.
This finish has proprietary nanotechnology formula to protect from these above-mentioned conditions. It is the best exterior finish for western red cedar.
- It has proprietary nanotechnology that provides escape from water vapors
- Double coats are required
- It Covers 250 to 350 square feet per gallon
- Protects against UV rays, mildew, and water
9. Rust-Oleum WATCO 67741 – Best For Indoor Cedar Furniture
This is the finish that protects wood from inside. It contains a deep penetrating oil formula that goes inside the wood cells to give extra safety and increase the lifespan of the wood.
It also can undergo UV rays and bad conditions. Its mildew resistance formula can protect the wood from microbes and rotting. It is the Best Finish for Outdoor Cedar Furniture & Indoor furniture as well.
- Contains a deep penetrating oil formula that hardens the wood from inside and outside as well
- Provides safety against moisture, UV rays, and microbes
- 2 coats are required
- Dries between 8-10 hours
- Covers 150-200 square feet per quart
10. Rust-Oleum Corporation Zinsser 00903 – Best For Preventing Damages
It is going to add strength to your exterior furniture. This finish also works well on treated wood. It contains the formula that protects cedar wood from fungus, mildew, and mold. In this way, it is going to protect the wood from damage and rotting.
With 100% clear formula it allows the natural beauty of wood remains forever. This finish is easy to apply and also dries fast.
- Easy application and clean up because it is a water-based finish
- Increase the lifespan of wood and beauty as well
- It Covers 150-250 square feet per gallon
- 3 coats are required
- Dries in 24 hours
What To Look For Before Buying The Best Finish For Cedar Furniture?
If you are looking for the best finish then there are few factors to keep in mind before buying a cedar varnish. Below here are a few of them.
Wood expands or contracts due to temperature changes. Harmful rays of sun and humidity in the air also affect cedar. To minimize these effects you must buy a clear finish that consists of special oils.
These special oils in the finish will enable the wood to expand or contract according to climatic conditions. The finish should also have UV absorbers so that fading and discoloring of the furniture will never happen.
Depending upon the usage the furniture is likely to furnish with clear cedar polish. Some finishes provide much more support for heavy furniture like tables and counters. This furniture is for daily use like to put food and drinks on these, therefore, clear and best finish is required.
Color Of The Finish
Some of the varnishes have crystal clear while others have a tone that gives warm and rich shade to the wood. If your cedar furniture is light-colored, stained, or unfinished then it’s better to choose a fine and crystal clear finish that will give your furniture an amazing look.
Easy To Use
Easy to use finish is the one that is easy to apply. Without the fear of having brush marks or making drips on the furniture, the cloth is required for this. These types of finishes dry naturally. Some finishes dry in a short period and need a soapy water solution or mineral spirits for cleaning purposes.
Advantages For Using The Best Finish For Outdoor Cedar Furniture
Following are the few advantages of using the best finish for cedar furniture.
1. Increase in Beauty
A clear and best finish on your furniture which is made of cedar wood will keep its natural beauty by dominating its natural warm wood color. It will not remove its original color, however; increase your furniture’s glowing look.
2. Color Safety
The ultraviolet rays of the sun will damage the color of cedar furniture if it will continuously expose. These harmful rays will cause the natural color to become faded and then your cedar furniture will lose its original and amazing look if not given clear coats of finish.
3. Safety Against Termites
Termites cause damage to your cedar furniture. Termites will rot away your furniture after sets in. To protect the furniture from termites and mildew clear, the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture is necessary as it will keep the original look of your furniture.
4. Safety Against Water
The clear cedar finish will protect your furniture from water. When you accidentally spill the water, it will get absorbed by the softwood and cause it to rot and damage.
5. Protection From Other Chemicals
A clear and fine finish will protect your furniture from harmful chemicals present in cleaning agents and also prevent the wood from damage caused by daily wear and tear.
How To Care For Outdoor Cedar Furniture And How To Keep Cedar Looking Natural?
You can maintain your outdoor cedar furniture by following the few tips mentioned below
- Clean the softwood with a solution made from water and a small amount of detergent. Use a soft cloth for cleaning.
- To remove stains or mildew use a water solution with a little added bleach and apply it with a cloth on the affected area. After that allow it to dry naturally.
- The application of a sealant is also good for preventing wood against dirt and moisture.
- You can protect your outdoor cedar furniture by staining it after every two years.
- Stop using a finish that contains a lot of oil from oil that attracts dirt and grime.
- Put your furniture in outside seems to be an amazing idea cut always choose a spot where there is almost no sunlight. It will save your furniture from premature greying.
Putting a finish on your outdoor cedar furniture is a must for maintenance. No matter how much you clean these, you will have to apply the clear cedar finish to retain the natural beauty of the softwood. We hope that this article will help you to choose the best finish for outdoor cedar furniture.